Monday 26 May 2014

Under London

I’ve been reading a bit lately (and because of the way I think) I have come to a conclusion that there is a conspiracy to hide that fact that London is a portal to another dimension (as opposed to Cardiff as per Torchwood) There seems to be a long history and tradition of books regarding this subject by the great English fantasy writers and novelists.
There is a history that leads me to this conclusion.
After reading China Mieville’s Un Lun Dun I was struck by the influence from Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere which reminded me of one of my favourite Clive Barker books WeaveWorld and this in turn – thanks to my son – can be linked back to the marvelous CS  Lewis  and his classic the Magician’s Nephew.
Another bit of information linking these tales is the inclusion of art to tell the tales. Melville and Barker are both accomplished artists who illustrate their own work, Gaiman has been associated with comic and noted illustrators all his career and Lewis’ work has always been accompanied by the beautiful line drawings of 
Pauline Baynes.
Invisibles S01E02
Even Grant Morrison hints at it on the comic "Invisibles" All very Secret Squirrel.


Is this some sort of literary road map or prophecy?
Does anyone else have any other books to add to my theory?